Sunday, September 25, 2011

From the Rooster's Mouth: Pico de Gallo

Just so you know I don't actually use measurements unless I'm baking. If this isn't a pastry item please take that into consideration and don't hate me for ruining your dinner party.

I. Love. Pico de Gallo. I eat about 1 liter of Pico de Gallo per week. It's safe to say I have an addiction to this lemony, spicy, tomato relish. I figure I was destined to love this stuff since I've always hated salsa, but to fit the South American stereotype it was necessary that I like some kind of spicy tomato thing! It was such a predicament. I would've been the shame of my family if it weren't for Chipotle. Thank Goddess for the McDonald's industry, right? I went to Chipotle almost weekly just to get my Pico de Gallo fix, because the last thing I want to deal with is withdraw symptoms. It's comparable to the horrors of a meth addict going cold turkey. I could've died!
Ok, in all seriousness, I just love Pico de Gallo. Yeah, I do eat 1 liter of it a week but don't worry, I don't suffer withdraw symptoms if I chose to abstain for a day. On another serious note, don't do drugs! I hear they're bad for you, but I wouldn't really know since I don't want to experiment with them to find out. Just a friendly suggestion from your friendly internet kitchen witch.
I'm wondering how I'm gonna present my recipe on here... oh whatever, I'll just wing it.

Pico de Gallo (Pee-Ko Day Gai-Yo) aka Yummzers (Yummzers):
Makes about 1 liter
2 Lemons, maybe more
3/4 Medium Yellow Onion
2 1/2 Cup Fresh Chopped Cilantro, maybe more
6 Almost Ripe or Ripe Small- Medium Tomatoes
1 Seeded Red Bell Pepper
1/3 of a Small Seeded Jalapeno Pepper, depends on how spicy you like things, if you don't like spicy things at all add 1/4 of a Small Seeded Jalapeno Pepper because it really does change the flavor to have none at all.
Salt Not Too Much, Not Too Little

Directions: Pico de Gallo gets spicier the longer that it sits, so keep that in mind as you're deciding how much you want to make as well as how much jalapeno to add. If you want your Pico de Gallo to be spicy from the very moment it's made juice your lemons first then carefully cut off the the amount of jalapeno desired and remove the seeds. I cut my jalapeno into tiny pieces so that it doesn't get concentrated in any one place, but if you like to get unexpectedly slapped in the face by jalapeno flesh, be my guest and cut it exactly the way you like it. :) Don't lick your finger or rub your eyes after you make this stuff! Bad ,bad idea.Even if you wash your hands don't consider yourself safe. O_O If you don't want your Pico de Gallo spicy right away add the lemon juice after this next step without the jalapenoes then wait till the end to add the jalapenoes.

Next you'll want to move on to the tomatoes, bell peppers, onion and cilantro. Chop up all these ingredients and add them to a large bowl, or if you're as lazy as me add it to a tupper wear container that can hold as much as you plan to make.

Sooo, did you cut your onion up yet? What about the cilantro? Yes? Oh, you're getting to it. Just make sure to peel the onion before you cut it up. x_x When you're done with that add it to your tomatoes and bell peppers and combine please! It's pretty huh? :) Just be sure to not bruise those tomatoes! I may not be a grammar nazi but I sure am a texture nazi.
Pour your lemon juice over the rest of your ingredients and mix. If you have jalapeno in your lemon juice use a silicon mixing paddle to stir your ingredients, if not go ahead and use your hand or a spoon if you want but once you add those jalapenoes you want something that's not gonna soak up the capsaicin, as well as something that isn't gonna burn like hell afterwards (I'm talking about you're hands :P).

Wala! You have now made Pico de Gallo, and you can now expect me over within the hour, tortilla chips in hand. ^^

Magickal Significance:
Lemons: feminine, sun, summer, happiness, clarity, reflection, water, purification
Yellow Onions: earth, insecurities, love, patience, protection, understanding, clarity, the universe, the moon, masculine
Cilantro: masculine, awareness, passion, keeping secrets
Tomatoes: love, feminine, home, intention, prosperity
Bell Peppers:
Jalapenoes: lust, reaction, forethought, masculine, fire, without remorse
Pico de Gallo: Clarity, awareness, cleansing, water, fire, interactivity

No comments:

Post a Comment